This is going to be an interesting ride...

I've moved my blog over to Tumblr.

I can now be found over at my new MeshBoats site.
If you have bookmarks, please update them, as any new content will be at Tumblr. Most of my posts will still be duplicated here, but check on the Tumblr, just to be safe.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Today I dove back into solving my 3x3x5 puzzle cube, which I had almost forgotten about. I forgot...

Today I dove back into solving my 3x3x5 puzzle cube, which I had almost forgotten about. I forgot how much I love this thing! It’s such a great and interesting puzzle. It was my favorite cube before I got my 4x4x4, and now I think it’s my favorite again. It’s also making me really want a 5x5x5. Perhaps I’ll buy one this summer.


I still have yet to solve my octahedron. It’s frustrating, not as a puzzle, but as an object. What I mean by this is that sometimes it’s such a pain to twist a side (if they’re not all perfectly aligned) that I’ll get partway into figuring out an algorithm, then have so much trouble mid-twist that I’ll forget what I was doing. So I put that on the shelf for now.


I’m certainly no speedcubing master, but I really enjoy solving them, and I’ve gotten as fast as 55 seconds on the 3x3x3. Nowhere close to being a world record, but I still feel good about it. I can do about 5-8 minutes on the 4x4x4, and I’ve never timed myself on the 3x3x5. The mirror cube is one I’ll never time myself on, because it’s the same as a 3x3x3, but a bit more fragile in construction. It’s already broken once, and I was able to glue the piece back on and make it usable again.


Obviously I love my cubes. I’m a cube-o-holic. I almost always have a cube (or two) on me. As an aspie, thus someone on the autism spectrum, I find that cubes are a very calming thing for me. I adore (read “obsess over”) puzzles, and the cube is a puzzle I can take with me everywhere. It helps me in social situations at times, because I can just start twisting the cube and brings me a bit of Zen. Yes, solving the cubes is a bit meditative. If I’m stressed, cubing can help me center myself.


But I digress. This post wasn’t supposed to be about me as an aspie. Train of thought derailed. I really just wanted to express my happiness (or geekiness) about having rekindled my relationship with my 3x3x5 cube. Sounds silly, I know, but truth be told. I’ve solved the thing 3 times today. The first time I had to refer back to my notes, because I had forgotten what to do at one point. Good thing I tend to take notes as I go, as I have a horrible memory for things I don’t keep up on. I haven’t solved this thing in months. But the fact remains, I loved every second. I paced my office at work, waiting for updates to run on new PCs I’m setting up, and twisted away.


Now, this post is already much longer than I had planned it to be, and I’m not great at ending long posts where I don’t have a specific plan for what I want to say. So I’ll just end with this: I’m gonna go solve it again. ^_^






via Tumblr http://meshboats.tumblr.com/post/53298684802

No comments:

Post a Comment